You’ve been spinning for a while. You have thought about it, meditated, asked for advice. Your friends have told you about its wonders and you see that all famous people practice it. At last you decide to put yourself in action to balance your body, your mind and your spirit. But now what? How do I start?
Starting in a new practice is not easy, but with our tips of yoga for beginners you can get more confidence. Pay attention and point out the tips we have brought for you, young yogi 🙂
Where to go to start yoga
When it comes to practicing yoga, we have several options regarding the place. In this sense, you can choose to go to a yoga school, practice at home or look for outdoor yoga classes. The three options have their pros and cons so let’s try to explain them so you can decide which is best suited to your needs and preferences.
My recommendation for beginners is to go to a specialized center. There you can count on qualified teachers in this discipline. No one better than a yoga teacher to teach you what are the bases of practice, how to align the postures and how to do yoga safely and without risk of injury.
Even though this is my favorite option, many people don’t go to these centers at the beginning for economic reasons. It is true that going to yoga class a couple of times a week can cost more or less the same as the gym fee but this has its reasons. To begin with, keep in mind that yoga is not a purely physical practice but includes the mental and spiritual plane. That’s why yoga teachers have been trained for years and are trained to guide you on this beautiful journey inland.
Yoga at home
It is normal for many yoga beginners to decide to start at home. Many times yoga is perceived as a physical discipline that we can practice comfortably in our classroom. And in part it’s like that but you have to keep in mind that yoga is much more than Asanas (postures). As part of yoga practice you must learn to breathe correctly, to align your postures well to avoid injury and to meditate to stay anchored in the here and now. These are all things that you don’t learn from one day to the next so it’s important to have a good yoga guide if you are going to practice at home.
In any case, practicing from home also has its advantages. The price is much cheaper than going to class and gives you the freedom to practice at any time of the day.
If you finally encourage yourself to practice yoga from home, I recommend you to take a look at the post we wrote about books to get started in yoga. You can also subscribe to a website of yoga courses such as OneOeight. Finally, comment that many people go to youtube to get started in yoga. It is important to keep in mind that YouTube is a free platform so anyone can upload videos without being a teacher or have the right knowledge to teach yoga. That’s why I recommend you look for the channels of good teachers.
The last option to get started in yoga is to attend large outdoor yoga events. Many teachers choose parks or beaches to teach and become known in their city. These classes use to be crowded because the price is usually cheaper than in a school. It’s a good idea as a first contact with yoga but you have to keep in mind that you will probably be very distracted and that practicing in a closed environment without people watching is slightly different.
If you feel like going to some outdoor yoga class, I recommend you look at the Facebook events in your city. Most of the teacher announce these classes there.
How to find a yoga teacher
Once we have decided to go to a yoga center, we have the second problem. How do I know which teacher is better?
This decision is very personal because the most important thing is that it’s a person with whom you connect and who generates trust. Keep in mind that many times the teacher’s job involves correcting your position so he/she will have to touch you and make adjustments. That’s why is important that you evaluate which type of teacher you feel most comfortable with.
You probably know people who already practice yoga so take advantage and ask who they recommend. Surely they give you several options. Just make sure that the class that the teacher you choose is suitable for yoga beginners.
What style of yoga is best for beginners?
Although all styles of yoga share a common base, the way of imparting it differs. That’s why if you are a beginner in yoga you will probably make a mess with all the types of yoga that exist. The first thing you have to decide is whether you want to practice a calm or dynamic yoga style.
If you prefer to start with a quiet yoga I recommend:
- Hatha Yoga.- Is the most classic yoga and one of the best styles to start in practice because it teaches you the basis on which all other styles work.
- Iyengar yoga.- This type of yoga is absolutely adapted to all people and physical abilities because it uses many accessories such as blocks, belts, blankets, etc. Is perfect for beginners because it works a lot in the alignment of the postures.
- Yin Yoga.- Is an extremely slow yoga in which the postures are maintained for a longer time than normal. Is very good to stretch, learn to stay static and control our mind.
If you are a very active person and you are looking for a more dynamic yoga style I recommend you:
- Vinyasa Yoga.- Is a style of yoga in which asanas are constantly joined and very little rest in each one.
- Ashtanga yoga.- Although is not especially dynamic, it is very energetic, so you have to have a lot of resistance to practice it.
Is very normal that at first you don’t connect well with the practice and it’s not what you were looking for. If you try a style and you don’t end liking it don’t stop practicing yoga. Maybe that style does not fit with you and what you need is just to look for another kind of yoga. I recommend you to try yoga styles and teachers until you connect perfectly with one. I’m sure you’ll find it sooner than you think.
Equipment necessary to practice yoga
We have already talked about the necessary accessories to improve your yoga practice but here we will do a little review of what you need to get started. If you are a yoga beginner, I recommend that you have the following products on hand:
- Yoga mat – Essential for yoga practitioners of any level. When choosing it, keep in mind that is a mat that is anchored to the ground and doesn’t slip.
- Other accessories.- Most yoga beginners usually need at least one block and a yoga belt. These products are necessary because they help to better align the positions and to be able to perform those for which you don’t have enough flexibility.
- Regarding clothes, I recommend to wear very comfortable and elastic clothes to give you mobility. During the yoga class you will perform postures that you don’t usually do normally, so the clothes should be adapted to it.
Other aspects to consider if you are yoga beginner
Is important that your first day of yoga advise the teacher if you have any injury. In this way he/she can adapt the postures to your needs to avoid aggravating them.
The ideal is to practice fasting but the normal thing is that your routine prevents you from practicing in the morning. Therefore, if you are going to practice in the afternoon, it is highly recommended that you let at least 2 hours pass from the last meal. Of course, try to maintain a good level of hydration by drinking water and infusions.
Yoga is a practice in which you have to be very present so leave the phone in silence and away from you. It is important that you have as few distractions as possible while practicing.
Sometimes yoga can be an uncomfortable practice. We can feel a little “pain” when stretching some muscles and this can make us forget to breathe. Yes, as you hear it. Humans have the reflex of holding their breath when we are making some big effort. In yoga it is very important that this doesn’t happen so if you see that it is difficult for you to breathe simply decrease the effort by one point and concentrate on your breathing.
It is normal that at first some postures seem very complicated and you can get frustrated when you see your classmates doing them without problems. You must remember that yoga is a personal path and you are not better for being able to make certain poses. The goal of practicing yoga has to do with your personal and spiritual growth. The poses are only a means to achieve a full spiritual life. Each person is at a different moment and that is why you shouldn’t compare yourself to anyone. Your practice is yours, for you and the only thing you should concentrate on is to enjoy it.
I hope this guide has been useful for you. Here is a summary of all the yoga tips for beginners:
- Choose the right place to practice, be it a school, at home or outdoors.
- Find a teacher with whom you connect and feel confident.
- Choose the yoga style that best suits your needs and preferences.
- Get yourself a good yoga mat, a block and a yoga belt.
- Use comfortable clothes, not too loose and that gives you freedom of movement.
- Keep in mind your personal limitations.
- Inform the teacher of the injuries you might have.
- Hydrate well.
- Allow at least 2 hours from the last meal before practicing.
- Turn off the phone and avoid any distraction.
- Remember that the most important thing is breathing.
- Do not compare yourself with others.
- Enjoy the practice!
Yoga goes through an endless path but the route is magical. Enjoy the process and if you liked this article we encourage you to share it in your social networks and leave us a comment.